(59 comments, 257 posts)
This user hasn't shared any profile information
Posts by shmoula
I’ve been struggling with exporting my private key from bitcoin-qt a little bit, so now when I successfully done it, I’m going to describe those steps here. I had old wallet.dat and switched to Electrum wallet, but after MININGCO.ETF closure I received some funds into my old wallet, so there was need to get them out. First I was trying to use PyWallet, but without any success. So I did it with CLI access to bitcoin-qt wallet. Here we go:
- Download and unpack bitcoin-qt wallet,
- move wallet.dat to ~/.bitcoin directory,
- create bitcoin.conf in ~/.bitcoin directory and define rpcuser= and rpcpassword= in it,
- run ‚bitcoind -server‘ in terminal,
- unlock the wallet for 60 seconds like ‚read -s wp; ./bitcoin-cli walletpassphrase „$wp“ 60; unset wp‘,
- and finally dump private key ‚./bitcoin-cli dumpprivkey 1MyBitcoinAddress‘, which is written directly to terminal,
- lock the wallet ‚./bitcoin-cli walletlock‘.
Now it’s possible to copy private key and import it into Electrum or another wallet software (or give it to someone :)).